Electra-nad - Big Jimmy's Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 02:00 AM Thread Starter
In the groove

Electra-nad

So my first real cruiser, as in not a bargain basket case, was a 2001 750 shadow ace. The first time I rode it 1300 miles round trip my wife said she needed more seat and I found myself wanting more bike.

So I bought a 2006 1600 nomad. While at first I was a bit disappointed in the bike, I am growing quite fond of it. I have added pipes with homemade baffles, pc III dyno tuned, caddman intake, and a homade luggage rack.

The comfy rear seat will not allow my luggage to fit so I find myself strapping a suitcase to it. Looks terrible . My side loading bags are handy in some cases but quite annoying in others. I am fixing to go on another 1500 mile trip and loading the bike is just frustrating.

I have eyed the big HD highway bikes in the past, but can't decide if I want to abandon the nad. SOOOO......

This is going to be the documentation of my nomad going from cruiser with slight touring ability, to touring while hopefully retainiing cruising ability.

my wife on my shadow
here's the nad in current form
my homade rack (available for sale upon request at only $800 )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 02:05 AM Thread Starter
In the groove

Oh ya I also added 13" mini apes.

So I just ordered a trunk on E-BAy. I will post pics when I get it installed. I am currently bidding on some fairings and also looking at WOC FAIRINGS. Let ya know how that turns out as well.

So this is gonna be the transformation of my bike from a nad to an Electra- nad. It will be slow developing as I am lazy and poor but its not like there is alot to keep up with on this forum right now so I bet you can follow along if ya want
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 09:03 PM
Tod
Super Moderator

Whew...

With a title like that, this thread could've gone a couple of ways, glad to see you're going to keep the Nomad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

I'm lookin' forward to seein' the transformation - you have a sweet bike already - it can only get better

Mike
'07 Vulcan 900LT
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
In the groove

I purchased a trunk. Not sure the brand but it was off brand from e-bay. The trunk is satisfactory bu the brackets that come with it are lame, as its a universal type thing. Anyway, I manufactured a bracket andbolted the trunk on for a trial run. I need to coat the bracket if everything is a go.

Oh and the rack on the trunk doesn't come installed or have predrilled holes, so be very careful in mounting said rack or you will have holes in the wrong spots. Also the rack is flat on the bottom and the trunk tiop is not so I am going to cut me some rubber gasket/washers to make that look a bit more prefesional.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
In the groove

Next on the list is a rear tire and the 15000 mile service. Service has nothi to do with the Electra-nad conversion but it still needs done LOL

that is a 195/60-16 Dunlop SP Sport 5000 next to a 170/70-16 Bridgestone Exedra G722
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
In the groove

The car tire wasn't for me so I am goin back to the Bridgestone. Also ordered a faring from Wide Open. Pick it up this week. I will try to remember to shoot some pics of the mock up before I send it off to be painted. Can't wait
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry the darkside didn't work for ya

Mike
'07 Vulcan 900LT
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
In the groove

No sweat to me. I really like my ride with the MC tire and since I change my own tires its really no big deal to change more often. Also the car tire cost 170 and the moto tires cost 125 so it would have been more economical when figuring miles on each tire but not like it was gonna save me enough to rretire on
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
In the groove

Here is the prepaint test fit of my Wide Open Customs audio fairing