vacation time - Page 2 - Big Jimmy's Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 07:20 PM
In the groove

Kansas & Nebraska are probably two of the only states that, on a clear day, you can see from border to border!! I exaggerate, but as has already been noted, it seems only true Kansans(and probably Huskers, too) can appreciate the long, flat, rolling praries. If you're riding on the Interstates, I'd say just bypass them completely. There's nothing here to see, folks. . .

On the other hand, many of the rides we take out of Topeka take some of the back roads, state highways and the like. Many of them, while not heavily travelled, are fairly decent roads, and not many of them are straight, either. No radical twistys like you see in other states, but enough turns to keep your attention.

And that hill out by Wilson? It's just a speed bump, no hills in western Kansas until you get closer to Colorado!

And on a final note: I don't know what the roads are like in the rest of the state, but the roads in and around Topeka are hideous!!!! There are some potholes in some of the streets here that I am convinced would throw a rider right straight through his/her windshield!! There are a couple of road holes I've seen that I think I could hide a Sportster in. . . . I'm kinda glad my bike is still in storage, I'm not sure I could ride between all of the holes and stay up on two!

But, if you do come through Kansas, better give us a shout!!!

Randy (WyldStreak aka "Grumpy")
'86 ZL600
I ride an Eliminator. What you got?

Last edited by wyldstreak; 02-01-2010 at 07:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 03:08 PM
Banned

Routes

I have never riden through their either, but if anyone else has post your route on this site, so we all can check it out at allstate insurance route map, or at allstate insurance motorcycle. You can plan and post routes on these sites for free, please make them public otherwise we won't be able to see them. I am an affiliate of allstate and thus the titles. Thanks

David Lipsky
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
New to these parts

tryed to use that allstate thing dont know if it worked or not. but i plan on going throw neb. acrost the corner of kan. to colorado springs,to whear the four stats meet then back up acrost to casper wyo. then to sturgis sd. for a day or so of the rally then back home to richland sd.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator

Let us know your route!

Mike
'07 Vulcan 900LT
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 02:51 AM Thread Starter
New to these parts

Cool

I did get a my rout all maped out on that allstate map.sarrt it so long to get back on , but i have been moving snow here.Here is a breaf discription of my rout I call it the midwest loop.I will be heading out of sioux city ia. to columbas neb.to grand island neb.then to cody kan.then to colardo springs co.then down to where the four states meet then all the way back up to casper wyo. then throw sturgis sd. and back home to siouxcity ia. plan on tacking back roads as much as i can.:
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 08:12 PM
In the groove

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucel View Post
I will be heading out of sioux city ia. to columbas neb.to grand island neb.then to cody kan.then to colardo springs co.then down to where the four states meet
Not to be difficult, but Cody, KS??? Did you mean Colby? Based on your route, I suspect you meant Colby, since I cannot find any Cody in Kansas. . .

Anyone in Kansas knows, however, that many flat spots in the road have names, so anything is possible down here. . . .

'86 ZL600
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 03:24 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyldstreak View Post
Anyone in Kansas knows, however, that many flat spots in the road have names, so anything is possible down here. . . .
You got that right!

Mike
'07 Vulcan 900LT
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
New to these parts

ok! you got me ,do you guys know of any camping spots between colby kan. and colorado springs.or maybe just a tree for some shade.
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 02:33 AM
In the groove

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucel View Post
ok! you got me ,do you guys know of any camping spots between colby kan. and colorado springs.or maybe just a tree for some shade.
I'll ask around and see what I can find out for you. Several of my co-workers travel to that area and might have some suggestions. I know they'll look next time they go that way if I ask them.

Give me an idea of what you're looking for, what type of camping, facilities, etc. That'll help weed out the selections, though to be honest, I fear there may not be much selection. There are a couple of fairly nice places out there, though, and we may be able to scare something up.

While there aren't many, times like this is when it's handy to work for state government and have inside sources. . . . .

'86 ZL600
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
New to these parts

vacations

ok!I told ya what i was doing for vacation this summer ,know what are yall gona do ?