windshield on a 900 classic - Big Jimmy's Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
New to these parts

windshield on a 900 classic

Here's the deal, I got a free windshield from a friend, it came off an older Vulcan, but we're not sure what-

I've looked all over for mounting brackets and nothing I find looks like it's going to work and if it looks close then it's over $100, I really don't want to pay that.

I can make the bottom work, just fab up a couple spacers and get some longer bolts-

The top however, has me stumped-

nothing really lines up with anything. I've thought about fabbing a strap to go from the bolt on the upper triple tree clamp to the shield, but I don't think I really want to mess with that bolt. I've been looking for a clamp that could go around the top of the fork tube and attach to that, but no luck so far. Any ideas?

-Rob
'07 Mean Streak(R.I.P.)
'07 Vulcan 900 Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 02:55 PM
New to these parts

you might want to try this web site. kawasakimotorcycle.org. It is owned by the same company that owns this site. It is a kawasawki dedicated site. They are very helpful and freindly.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
New to these parts

Got a post up over there too I've been more of a lurker over at BTK since early 08, I go by KsVn900 there.

-Rob
'07 Mean Streak(R.I.P.)
'07 Vulcan 900 Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 01:42 AM
In the groove

What about some sort of L bracket, clamped around the fork just below the triple tree, angling at 90deg upwards, with a bolt? I dunno if I can explain what's in my mind. . .

Envision a hose clamp, that holds on the L bracket. The L would have to have an L downwards to clamp onto the fork, then come upwards/outwards to miss the tripletree, then upwards with the bolt for the shield. Kind of a double L . . . I can see the idea, just not sure how it might work. . may be easier to envision than manufacture. . . .

Randy (WyldStreak aka "Grumpy")
'86 ZL600
I ride an Eliminator. What you got?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 03:25 AM
Super Moderator

Randy may be on to somethin' there...

Man, I love the stylized V on the shield!

Mike
'07 Vulcan 900LT
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
New to these parts

Woohoo! It's on! Now granted it's not a fancy $100 mount kit, it's a little redneck, and it cost me a whole $5

After spending some time in the garage last night looking at different possibilities, I decided to take it to the shop where we have real metal working tools to make things a bit easier. So this morning I strapped the shield to the 900 and headed for work. 6am, 40 degrees, and about a 20 mph wind, chilly 15 mile ride to the shop.

I figured I'd tackle the bottom mount 1st. Using the factory lightbar mount pionts was a no go, the bottom of the shield hit the blinkers. No problem, move up about 1.5" and drill new holes. Now in the 1st post you'll see the pics where spacers would be needed, didn't really want to do spacer thing, wait a minute, I'm in a metal shop, take the brackets off the shield, fire up the press brake and make the bend a bit tighter, bottom mount done-

On to the top mount. The top holes on the shield bracket lined up with nothing, except maybe the handle bars, hmmm, that just might work. Made a trip to the local hardware store picked up 2, 1" clamps with rubber isolators, a piece of 1/4" all-thread and some nuts, washers etc for $4 and some change. Top mount done-

Now for the ride home, it was still 40, still a 20mph wind, but now it was raining as well. Oh well, I dressed for it and it was a good test. The shield is very solid and works pretty good, some slight buffeting on the top of my head, but no wind pressure on my chest at all, very different from riding without a shield. It'll definitely make winter riding more comfortable, but come spring it's probably coming off. I prefer to feel the wind, not hide from it, but I'll gladly hide to extend my riding season, lol!

-Rob
'07 Mean Streak(R.I.P.)
'07 Vulcan 900 Classic
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 01:35 PM
Big Jimmy Fan

That's perfect! Nice job. What all do you have access to besides a press brake?

Later,

Charlie
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
New to these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Gary View Post
That's perfect! Nice job. What all do you have access to besides a press brake?

Later,

Charlie
Thanks for the compliment! We're a full production shop so we have lots of cool stuff We have 3 different press brakes ranging from 15 ton to 80 ton, Kuka robotic weld cell, Motoman robotic weld cell, CNC lathe, 4 Mazak 5'x10' laser tables with fully automated load/unload system, 3 phase welders, single phase welders, CNC spot welder, portable plasma torches, oxy/acetalene torch, acid wash system, powder coat sytem, Bridgeport Mill, engine lathe, we're in the process of adding a Motoman robotic paint system and Kuka robotic assembly line. Good help is extremely difficult to find so we're automating as much as possible. I've been welding and fabricating since '93, I love the trade and it's constant evolution.

-Rob
'07 Mean Streak(R.I.P.)
'07 Vulcan 900 Classic
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 12:39 AM
Big Jimmy Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStreak View Post
Thanks for the compliment! We're a full production shop so we have lots of cool stuff We have 3 different press brakes ranging from 15 ton to 80 ton, Kuka robotic weld cell, Motoman robotic weld cell, CNC lathe, 4 Mazak 5'x10' laser tables with fully automated load/unload system, 3 phase welders, single phase welders, CNC spot welder, portable plasma torches, oxy/acetalene torch, acid wash system, powder coat sytem, Bridgeport Mill, engine lathe, we're in the process of adding a Motoman robotic paint system and Kuka robotic assembly line. Good help is extremely difficult to find so we're automating as much as possible. I've been welding and fabricating since '93, I love the trade and it's constant evolution.
Sounds like a nice shop. I just went from running a shop with 4 cnc mills ranging from knee mill size to 100" in X 30" in Y and 24" in Z, a cnc lathe and assorted stuff like band saws, a table saw, arc and gas welding, small drill press, etc. to being the only machinist for a company that serves the electric power industry. Lack of work in the first shop got me into a better job, so in the end I can't complain with how the recession affected me. Now I have one Bridgeport-style knee mill and one conventional lathe to make parts. Nobody cares if I scrap a part every now and then, especially when the scrappers are due to me learning new materials and old machines.
I still have access to the previous shop, so if I get a side job I can go down there on nights and weekends and do it. Life is good when you have cool tools at your disposal.

Later,

Charlie
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator

I would love to have access to tools and equipment like that!

Mike
'07 Vulcan 900LT