They Didn't Kiss My Feet - Big Jimmy's Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 06:51 AM Thread Starter
Big Jimmy Fan

They Didn't Kiss My Feet

I couldn't believe how it went at the employment office today. I walked in and saw what I expected- people sitting around filling out paperwork, and one harried receptionist at the end of a line. I assumed my place in line, and a couple of minutes later I got to the head of the line. The lady glanced at me sideways while completing a task and asked how she could help me. Apparently the word "veteran" is some kind of magic code word, because when I asked if there was a Veteran's Representative available she immediately dropped what she was doing and gave me her full attention. She asked if I was on unemployment and I said "yes", and she picked up her phone and dialed up some guy in the back. She spoke to him briefly, then asked if any rep could help since the Vet Rep was tied up. I said sure, no problem. She then made sure to tell me thanks for serving before dialing up another rep. She spoke with him briefly, and while on the phone with him the first guy she called came out and began asking me questions about dates of service. He was relieved to learn I was able to miss out on all the top secret Gulf War inoculations, as was I. While he's talking with me the second guy she called came out to help me, so now I've got two reps tripping over themselves making sure they can help me. While sitting with the second guy, the first guy came around one more time to give me his business card and set up an appointment for Monday.
All I can say is "Wow!" I've never been treated like this by a government agency before. But they did stop short of kissing my feet. Is Rod Serling talking in the background?

Later,

Charlie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 07:36 AM
Tod
Super Moderator

I approve of this behavior, as it is certainly befitting to someone who has served this country in our armed forces.

You deserved nothing less.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator

It's about time you and the rest of the Vets started getting the respect they deserve! Very cool

Mike
'07 Vulcan 900LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Big Jimmy Fan

Thanks, guys. It was an interesting time of my life, for sure. I'm just glad I didn't have the same background as a friend of mine. He has several combat skills the Army couldn't seem to live without(he was Army before he was Air Force), and they sucked him back in with some of the fine print you find somewhere around page 83 of the enlistment contract. At least he's going to walk away with 100% medical discharge, but I think I would rather be able-bodied and enjoying an active lifestyle.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 11:15 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Gary View Post
but I think I would rather be able-bodied and enjoying an active lifestyle.
Yeah... some trade-offs just ain't worth it

Mike
'07 Vulcan 900LT
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 03:23 AM

that's great Charlie, it just pains me to see what it took for people to finally begin to appreciate anyone who is or has served. thanks to all who have served !

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 06:07 AM Thread Starter
Big Jimmy Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ispeed77 View Post
that's great Charlie, it just pains me to see what it took for people to finally begin to appreciate anyone who is or has served. thanks to all who have served !
You're welcome, David. Keep living free. That's why most of us did it, and that's really all the thanks we should be asking. Just keep living free.

Later,

Charlie
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 03:58 PM

Good for you, Charlie. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy!
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Big Jimmy Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JukieF View Post
Good for you, Charlie. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy!
Thanks, Julie. My wife used to ask me why I was so nice to people, always helping them when I could. Now it's all coming back to me when I need it. What goes around comes around.

Later,

Charlie
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 02:56 AM
Big Jimmy Fan

Glad to hear they took care of you ! If anybody deserves it, it is you, and Charlie, Thanks.

Dave
Life sucks, then you die.
07 900 Custom, 09 FXSTC