What gear do you wear? - Big Jimmy's Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 04:24 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

What gear do you wear?

Me, I'm a traditional black leather jacket and chaps kinda guy. I'm far from ATGATT but I will leather up when it gets cold.

What do y'all wear?

Mike
'07 Vulcan 900LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 02:26 AM
Super Moderator

right now i am wearing an Icon textile jacket and have been going without riding pants lately. most i have found, that i like, are geared more towards sport bikes and don't work well when stretched out on a cruiser. i have gone from no gear, to ATGATT, back to no gear, to wearing it as often as i can but no hesitating taking it off when i want.

David
Deron, we miss you buddy
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 03:45 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

A lot of that type of riding gear is pretty much "pre-shaped", isn't it? Factory-made bends in the legs and arms so that riding in the sport position is comfy. I can see how that would be a pain stretched out on a cruiser.

Mike
'07 Vulcan 900LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 01:40 AM
Big Jimmy Fan

I usually wear a leather thong, brite red clown nose, lime green flip flops and gloves made from rubber chickens, not real functional mind you, but I have never had anyone say they didn't see me Actually in the summer it is, short sleeve shirt, blue jeans and boots, a little cooler and I throw in a pair of light weight gloves and a textile riding jacket, a little colder and I swap out for my leather coat and my winter gloves, mid 30's and below, thermals, leather coat, gloves, one of those things that are worn on my head and cover up my neck and can be tucked into a jacket, and a ff helmet. Keeps me snug as a bug in a rug

Dave
Life sucks, then you die.
07 900 Custom, 09 FXSTC
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badmedicine View Post
I usually wear a leather thong, brite red clown nose, lime green flip flops and gloves made from rubber chickens, not real functional mind you, but I have never had anyone say they didn't see me
I think I'd pay to see those pics!

Quote:
one of those things that are worn on my head and cover up my neck and can be tucked into a jacket
A balaclava - I love mine!

Sounds like we pretty much do the same thing, I'll wear a FF in the winter, as well

Mike
'07 Vulcan 900LT
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 01:44 PM
In the groove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badmedicine View Post
I usually wear a leather thong, brite red clown nose, lime green flip flops and gloves made from rubber chickens . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwmalotte View Post
I think I'd pay to see those pics!

A balaclava - I love mine!
A red thong. . . . Hmmm. . . brings back some memories of pictures of a woman riding a sport bike with a thong on. . . . anyone else have a little queasy feeling??? LOL

But I digress. . . . Most times, I've got my doo rag on, with my riding goggles, my SWAT boots and fingerless gloves, in jeans and a shirt of some type. I'm lucky, I get to ride back and forth to work most every day. When the weather turns cold, I'll break out the leathers and hardhat to keep toasty. I'm shopping for a helmet right now, actually, to wear when the cold season gets here. I need to invest this year in a balaclava - learned my lesson early this year. .

Randy (WyldStreak aka "Grumpy")
'86 ZL600
I ride an Eliminator. What you got?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Doo-rag is definitely my favorite head gear but a helmet is nice when it's cold.

You looking for FF?

Mike
'07 Vulcan 900LT
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 06:20 PM
In the groove

Quote:
Doo-rag is definitely my favorite head gear but a helmet is nice when it's cold.

You looking for FF?
I'm considering a FF, though not entirely sold on one yet. Like you, I wear glasses, and I'm a little concerned with that, but otherwise, I've heard good things from rider friends who have them. I'm also considering just an open-face with a shield, but I've not decided yet.

There's a bike shop here in town(Suzuki dealer) that's either going out of business, or just closing the dealership. I'm going to take a peek there as soon as I get a chance. I'm such a cheap bastige . . . . .

Randy (WyldStreak aka "Grumpy")
'86 ZL600
I ride an Eliminator. What you got?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 08:20 PM
Big Jimmy Fan

I always look like I do in the picture. One piece Aerostich suit with boots (can't believe no one took a pic of me in shorts and boots when they had the chance), gloves and full face helmet. I've had the opportunity to use all of the aforementioned items at one point or another, and I try to learn my lessons and not ride without any of my protective clothing.

Later,

Charlie
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 10:32 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
A lot of that type of riding gear is pretty much "pre-shaped", isn't it? Factory-made bends in the legs and arms so that riding in the sport position is comfy. I can see how that would be a pain stretched out on a cruiser.
it's not that, as they aren't really pre-shaped, but have armor or padding. the thing that gets me is that most of it is loose fitting so it just whips around or up my leg on the cruiser. that tears the gear apart and just annoys me.

David
Deron, we miss you buddy