GPS Systems - Big Jimmy's Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

GPS Systems

We have a Garmin Nuvi 265t. It's currently not mounted on the bike but we're seriously looking at the Powerlet system. They have a mount for it that works with their power outlet system. One huge advantage is that it comes with a short power cable so you don't have to worry about what to do with the 3-4' cable that comes with the Garmin.

Who else has one? What kind is it? How did you mount it?

Mike
'07 Vulcan 900LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 02:31 AM

i still don't have one.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 06:58 AM

GPS Systems

Do you want a handheld GPS for walking or one that you plug into your car?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

We have one for the car (the Garmin Nuvi) and plan on mounting it on the bike when we get the Powerlet system. We can always unmount it if we need a handheld unit

Mike
'07 Vulcan 900LT
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 04:32 PM
New to these parts

I have a nuvi you can use it as a handheld but the unit does not work very long without being plug in. You can set the screen to go off after a short time that will give you more time. But this is not for serious use as a hand held.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

I would imagine you'd only need a handheld if you were doin' some serious hiking or somethin' like that. I hope I'm never in a situation where I'd need one away from a power source very long

Mike
'07 Vulcan 900LT
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 09:27 PM

I run Garman GPS on my smart phone,, Just plug in the a destination, and put on my head phones and drop it in my pocket, it announces when ever theris a turn coming up. has worked well, but must be plugged in to last any time at all. will run a bit over an hour unplugged. but I play my tunes and ride on with it plugged in,,
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 12:48 AM
Administrator

That awesome I just I never thought of that, however it's a great idea!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteFox View Post
I run Garman GPS on my smart phone,, Just plug in the a destination, and put on my head phones and drop it in my pocket, it announces when ever theris a turn coming up. has worked well, but must be plugged in to last any time at all. will run a bit over an hour unplugged. but I play my tunes and ride on with it plugged in,,
I missed this post... my wife also does the GPS thing on her phone. It seems to work well and eliminates another item to drag along on the rides. We may never go back to using a stand-alone GPS again

Mike
'07 Vulcan 900LT
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 10:36 PM
In the groove

I just bought a Garmin Nuvi 765T from Amazon and found a waterproof mount for it on Ebay. Garmin Nuvi 755T 765T 775T Waterproof Motorcycle Mount | eBay

Soon as I get it and put it to use I'll post up my opinion on it.

Main reason I got this one is price and headphone jack. I've read conflicting posts about whether it will work with a bluetooth headset. If so, I'll try to pair it with my Scala headset. If not I'll use earbuds and the jack. I wish it had better battery life. My little bike doesn't have a lot of power to spare. If I wire in a charging outlet I'll have to switch off my light bar to make sure I don't over tax my battery when the GPS is charging.

Some friends had both a Garmin and TomTom and the Garmin seemed easier to use. I had an Etrex Legend that died on me earlier this year. Not a great GPS for driving but I'll be replacing it too since I like to hike.

I saw a TomTom Rider 2 on ebay for a good price but missed out on the auction. The Zumo series look good but were a whole lot more money than I was willing to pay.

Last edited by B.R.; 05-02-2011 at 10:45 PM.