GPS Systems - Page 2 - Big Jimmy's Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 12:45 AM
In the groove

I got a 765t nuvi also. I did wire up the power plug, but sunlight reflection is an issue to me.... I finally created a sunshade that helps... tested it on the Florida trip... just bought headset extension so I can plug in the earbuds to hear music and directions without the wind whipping the cord around... I did pair it with my blackberry so I can see that someone is calling, but it is too noisy to talk... figure if is from someone important and I can stop and call back..

Mike
2009 Kawasaki Vulcan
900 Classic LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 02:01 AM
Big Jimmy Fan

Thats cool BR. Hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine. I like to ride to lakes and parks on the weekends. I'll go to points of intrest, parks and recreation, find a lake I haven't been to and take off. One day, I'm just gonna keep goin'.

Dave
Life sucks, then you die.
07 900 Custom, 09 FXSTC
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 03:39 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

So how did everyone's GPS systems do for the DOD II run?

Mike
'07 Vulcan 900LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 10:05 PM
In the groove

Not bad... I wire a connection so I could hear the GPS using ear plug ear buds, but kept forgetting to unplug them before getting off the bike... LOL

Mike
2009 Kawasaki Vulcan
900 Classic LT
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 01:55 PM
In the groove

Mine did fine. Just a few glitches but you just have to be smarter than the gizmo. For the most part any problems I had were just because I wasn't familiar with it. For example, if I wanted to use a certain city as a destination I'd type in the city and then the Garmin would force me to select a specific address even if it wasn't on the main route. Now I know I can use the map to zoom to the highway and then select "Go" and it will lead me where I want to go. Actually, I select a point just beyond my destination city and then can cancel the navigation once I spot a good stopping point in town.

It led me to the nearest gas station and a hotel when I needed it to.
Couple of times it wanted me to take really small gravel roads. I just would ignore it and force it to recalculate until it kept me on paved routes.
I used ear buds too. My problem was I kept forgetting to put the earbuds on before the helmet.

Also loved the fact that I could listen to music through the GPS. It would interrupt with directions when I got near turning points.
One time the GPS acted up and I think the battery got low. I shut it off and just left it in charging mode for a while. Not sure if music + directions was draining the battery faster than it was charging or if it wasn't a good connection to the 12 volt charger. That was the only time it happened.

It was difficult to see the screen at times without having to shade it with my hand but for the most part I didn't need to stare at the screen.

Only real complaint is that it takes several screen taps to zoom way out so you can see a larger area of map but I didn't do that while riding. Only while plotting each route a day ahead of time. Any screen tapping I needed to do while in motion was fairly easy.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 01:59 PM
In the groove

Next thing I want to do is put the charging port in a permanent location and wire an on off switch for it.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 03:02 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.R. View Post
Next thing I want to do is put the charging port in a permanent location and wire an on off switch for it.
Sounds like it's a keeper then - pics when done!

Mike
'07 Vulcan 900LT