post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 01:41 AM
Administrator

its not for me....

SPOK - 2005 Vulcan 2000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 08:33 PM
New to these parts

I'm working with my dealer mwmallotte. It's going to cost me 50 bucks to have them mount my tire but they've done one other testing the waters. They still don't know if they want everyone coming to their door. I road by and showed them mine with 18,500 on it. I have another guy in town with a VTX that just got his tire in, but doesn't have a place to put it on so I'll probably be doing that one.

50 bucks, heck, I'm thinking about doing it myself. I asked them about packing the bearings seeigns how I'd just be bringing them the wheel with the tire off. They wanted an hour labor for that too. Funny thing is, the manual says you only replace the bearings if you pull them, they're sealed.

Sooo, I wonder about using this dealer at all. Granted they have to handle a bunch of models so it's probably just confusion on their part. 50 bucks isn't too bad to for me not having to do any work in these temps, but its still 50 bucks. If it will help make the option available for others.
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Well, having lost my job, $$ matters... that may ultimately dictate if I go darkside. There's quite a diff in the price between CT and MT

Mike
'07 Vulcan 900LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 04:41 PM
New to these parts

Mounting the rubber to another guys rim tonight though he's checking out a truck stop with a cage for airing it up. At these temps I don't know if I can get the tire to seat.
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 12:50 PM
New to these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwmalotte View Post
Well, having lost my job, $$ matters... that may ultimately dictate if I go darkside. There's quite a diff in the price between CT and MT

Picked up my new tire yesterday, not as cheap as I'd hoped but still only 80 bucks. That I'm going to pay the dealer to put it on, oh well if it will help get them over the hump.

Anyways, after they get it mounted I'm going to swap the rotor and pulley and put it on the bike. Hopefully I'll have my hitch by then so I can do it all at once. That leaves me with a spoked rim with a car tire on it that still has over 3 millimeters on it. You want to come over here and swap, see what it feels like? We'll just leave your tire on your rim you can come back and swap it back OR if the dealer is agreeable, will run it up there and have them mount yours when the time comes. Heck, if it comes to it, run the CT bald, come back and do the same to the MC tire but you'll be able to know if you want to do it or not for a little elbow grease time.

Course, if you are satisfied with how it handles and someone else wants to give it a try, we could go about giving someone else a little time on the tire.

I have the week between Christmas and New Years off, but once the wheels off it will only take us an hour or so to do the complete swap.
post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

That would be awesome! I believe I'll take you up on that!

Thank you, sir!

Mike
'07 Vulcan 900LT
post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 03:14 PM
New to these parts

Good enough, I'll let you know when I have it ready to go.
post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 12:09 AM
New to these parts

Dropped it off today. The normal service manager was of course out to lunch. The guy checking me in just asked what rim I was bringing in, then was concerned. Their machine reaches through the spokes and the OEM 900 Custom rim has no reach through areas. 'What do you do with one when they come in?' I asked. 'Well, we were supposed to address this problem last year and if we can't get it done with the adapter that was made we'll just ship it off to Ford. If they can't do it we'll call you up and tell ya we can't do it.' 'Here and I thought it was going to be the Car Tire that was giving me problems.' 'Car Tire?????' huh boy, I can here it coming. 'You'll be my second guy on a car tire.' Well, that hurdles over.

Either way, if it takes them a couple days doesn't matter. The Gear side oil seal was missing. The original owner was going to grease the the bearings, which you don't do, you just replace them when they go bad. They still have clean grease on them he used them so little. So I had to order one in and it will be here next week. So hopefully next week I'll be up on the new tire.

Just keeping you updated.
post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Cool - thanks!

Mike
'07 Vulcan 900LT
post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 07:18 PM
New to these parts

Hitch is in, Dynabeads are in just waiting on the seals which I hope come in soon. I have to run up to the Red Robin by Liberty Cycle tomorrow to take my daughters internet adapter to Cricket. She got a new laptop with Windows 7 on it and there has to be a software upgrade on the unit. Anyways, all things equal I should have my tire swapped out this weekend. Hopefully it'll warm back up to the 40's after this cold patch.