What's The Worst Part? - Big Jimmy's Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
Big Jimmy Fan

What's The Worst Part?

What's the worst part of being a new rider? It's been so long I have a really hard time remembering too many things about it, but one thing I do remember was when a kid I went to elementary school with showed up at my house on a moped. He let me ride it down my street and back, and I'll never forget the rush of exceeding 20 mph on two wheels. That was followed by the terror of not knowing how fast I could circumnavigate the circle at the end of the street, but the brakes worked and I lived to ride another day.
I read a post some time back where a new rider wrote about being stricken with fear as he approached a curve on a highway. It was so bad he stopped, turned around and went home. I get the impression some of the key things new riders have trouble with are knowing 1)what their bike can and can't do 2)when and how much steering input the corner/entry speed combination requires 3)that they actually can make that corner.
What do the new riders think? Does any of this sound familiar?
What do the seasoned riders think?

Later,

Charlie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator

For me, it was the curves also. Turning the corner in town or long, lazy turns on the highway were no issues. It was the sharper, quicker turns - 'specially on small, two-lane county roads. The leaning part was ok but I just *knew* one piece of gravel or a touch of sand was gonna kick that back tire out instantly.

Until I got comfortable with how much grip those tires actually had, those curves were a constant source of worry for me.

Mike
'07 Vulcan 900LT
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 03:55 PM
Big Jimmy Fan

Yep, I'd agree curves, there is an art to it, I'd also say not over riding my ability, that still holds true today. Seems like I'm continually progressing as a rider, low speed maneuvers use to cause me problems also, the Ride Like A Pro video, and a lot of practice, has helped that out a bunch. It seems like every bike I've ever owned was a better bike than I am a rider, it's a pretty cool feeling when I have had the same bike long enough, to become "one" with the bike, does that make sense to anybody ? It's like the bike becomes an extension of myself, and we know each others limits and exactly how we will react without really having to think about it, I swear it has saved my bacon more than once, me and my Kawasaki 900 have become "one", I'm not there yet with my Harley, but getting close. I know a bike only responds to external inputs, but after a while it "seems" like it just knows what to do. The line to take through a curve is a given and so is the speed to take it at, the U-turn in a parking lot isn't even thought about, it's just not a "problem" anymore. Makes for a very enjoyable ride Back in the late 70's I had a Honda 450, it was my only means of transportation, rain, sleet, snow , it was my daily driver everyday, I still miss that bike, it was more like an old friend than a machine, we pulled off some stuff I'd never even dream about on another bike. It is really strange the attachment I form with bikes ! It has never happened with a car, a car to me is just a car, kind of strange.

Dave
Life sucks, then you die.
07 900 Custom, 09 FXSTC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator

I know exactly what you mean by "becoming one with your bike". As I continue to get more comfy on the 900, little things that used to concern me no longer cross my mind in a conscious manner - such as how to approach a curve.

And you have a good point about over riding your ability. That's also a concern as you transition from a new rider to experienced rider. It's easy to think, as you get more comfortable, that you have learned all you need to know and that's when mistakes happen.

Mike
'07 Vulcan 900LT
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 09:33 PM
Big Jimmy Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwmalotte View Post
I know exactly what you mean by "becoming one with your bike". As I continue to get more comfy on the 900, little things that used to concern me no longer cross my mind in a conscious manner - such as how to approach a curve.

And you have a good point about over riding your ability. That's also a concern as you transition from a new rider to experienced rider. It's easy to think, as you get more comfortable, that you have learned all you need to know and that's when mistakes happen.
Whether it's electricity, riding bikes, or anything else, the more I learn, the more I realize how little I know, back in my 20's I thought I was a pretty smart fella, now not so much, sometimes I wonder if I am progressing or regressing

Dave
07 900 Custom, 09 FXSTC
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 09:44 PM
Super Moderator

Just the fact that you are wondering that shows that yer smart enough to realize your limitations

Mike
'07 Vulcan 900LT
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 09:50 PM
Big Jimmy Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwmalotte View Post
I know exactly what you mean by "becoming one with your bike".
Whew!......atleast I'm not the only one with "issues", that takes a load of my mind

Dave
07 900 Custom, 09 FXSTC
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 09:53 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badmedicine View Post
Whew!......atleast I'm not the only one with "issues", that takes a load of my mind
LOL! Not at all

Mike
'07 Vulcan 900LT
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 02:28 AM
Super Moderator

i don't remember what was the worst part cause i went from dirt bikes to the street when i turned 16. didn't ride a ton, but i got right out there at the age when i had no fear. now the worst part is trying to slow down....

David
Deron, we miss you buddy
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 02:30 AM
Super Moderator

Ahhh 16 - the age of indestructability

Mike
'07 Vulcan 900LT