Cop Like Me - Big Jimmy's Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 06:37 AM Thread Starter
Big Jimmy Fan

Cop Like Me

I don't know why, but ever since I got out of the Air Force 16 years ago I've never had an encounter with a cop that cost me anything more than a few minutes of waiting. This last Saturday I was noticed three different times in the course of a 500 mile ride. When I first left home I was cruising along with my speedo showing somewhere between 10 and 15 over the 45 mph limit, and all of a sudden the car behind me had blue lights on top. I'm thinking my luck has finally run out as I begin to slow and pull over, when he drives by me. I think maybe he's after bigger fish when the blue lights go away and flashing yellows take their place for a few seconds, then all the lights go off as he sees me slow to 40 mph. I took the hint and kept it down to the limit.
The second cop showed up as a group of us were gathered at a gas station. He got out and told us we were "all in a heap of trouble", and he was going to have to arrest us and test ride all the bikes. We had about ten minutes of friendly chit-chat before we mounted up and moved on down the road.
The last one of the day I was coming down a mountain highway, speedo showing about 55 as I was passing a reduced speed 45 sign. I didn't put much effort into slowing, and then I noticed the truck coming the other way was white with a light bar on top. I roll off the throttle as he approaches and passes, and then I see blue lights in the mirror. Crap! I continue to slow, showing my brake lights, and the blue lights once again go yellow and then off. Once again I took the hint and slowed down to about three over the limit. It was uneventful the rest of the way home.
Sorry, David. I just had to share.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator

I think most are pretty cool if ya try and keep it on the straight and narrow... granted, there are the exceptions but most seem pretty cool if ya show an effort.

Mike
'07 Vulcan 900LT
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 03:34 PM
New to these parts

cops are like everybody else, different personalities. Just like any other business. The only big problem is they can have such a big impact on your life. All you need is the one that has something to prove. I was a leo for over 21 years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 08:52 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrysea View Post
cops are like everybody else, different personalities. Just like any other business. The only big problem is they can have such a big impact on your life. All you need is the one that has something to prove. I was a leo for over 21 years.
Amen! I've had a number of cops that were friends and they put their pants on just like everyone else. I've been fortunate in that I've not had to deal much with the ones who had something to prove.

Mike
'07 Vulcan 900LT
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 11:00 PM

without turning this into a bash or a debate i will say that at least 90% of my encounters with law enforcement have been great and i most likely deserved to be in the situation. unfortunately, it's the other 10% that has changed my opinion of LEO's in general. it sucks, cause i grew up around small town cops and still deal with them on an almost daily basis through work, but it is what it is.

post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ispeed77 View Post
without turning this into a bash or a debate i will say that at least 90% of my encounters with law enforcement have been great and i most likely deserved to be in the situation. unfortunately, it's the other 10% that has changed my opinion of LEO's in general. it sucks, cause i grew up around small town cops and still deal with them on an almost daily basis through work, but it is what it is.
I agree, but you can also say that about 'people'. 90% are fine to talk to, but 10% have no business being out in public.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 01:09 AM

yup, point well made. i remember when i first started training to be a lineman. the guys would always remember the things i screwed up. one of them finally pulled me aside and made the point that those things never go away. i could to 1000 things right in a row, but they always remember the 1 before it that i screwed up. as with anything, people talk about and think about the memorable things which are usually memorable for a reason. oh well.

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 01:22 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
as with anything, people talk about and think about the memorable things which are usually memorable for a reason. oh well.
That's the one thing about human nature I wish I could change... we really need to start celebrating the good, accentuating the positive. I think people would be more willing to go the extra mile if they knew it counted more than screwing up

Mike
'07 Vulcan 900LT
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 01:31 AM
Big Jimmy Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeVulcan View Post
I agree, but you can also say that about 'people'. 90% are fine to talk to, but 10% have no business being out in public.
Dang Chris ! I have to go out in public every once in awhile, whats a fella to do
< i luv that smilie

Dave
Life sucks, then you die.
07 900 Custom, 09 FXSTC
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 01:39 AM
Big Jimmy Fan

Quote:
yup, point well made. i remember when i first started training to be a lineman. the guys would always remember the things i screwed up. one of them finally pulled me aside and made the point that those things never go away. i could to 1000 things right in a row, but they always remember the 1 before it that i screwed up. as with anything, people talk about and think about the memorable things which are usually memorable for a reason. oh well.
David, just try what I do, screw up real regular, that way
they don't stand out so much 1000 things right in a row ? pfft ! If I get 3 or 4 right in a row it was a great day !

Dave
Life sucks, then you die.
07 900 Custom, 09 FXSTC