Even Vin Scully knows **** Enbergs farew - Big Jimmy's Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
New to these parts

Even Vin Scully knows **** Enbergs farew

In this season of long goodbyes in baseball, we'veoverlooked one of greatsignificance.**** Enbergis wrapping up his seven- Corey ****erson Jersey year run as the Padres' main television voice this weekend. His final home broadcastwas Thursday night at Petco Park. His final season will conclude Sunday in Phoenix.MORE: Most disappointing players this yearWhile baseball is but one part of his sterlingresume, Enberg'sinvolvement in the sport at the major league level datesto the 1960s.That fragmentedhalf-centuryisn't the 67 continuous years Vin Scully has spent with the Dodgers, but Enberg, 81, deserves recognition for his diamond work, too.Scully did his part during a pregame video salute Thursday night:"**** has done every sport imaginable, and, more importantly, he has done them perfectly. I don't mean pretty good, or good, or very good, I mean perfectly," he said."Wherever I am, if your name comes up, I will say from my heart, 'As good as they come,'" Scully concluded.Scully knows of what he speaks. Enberg was the lead national voice onNFL, college basketball andGrand Slam tennis broadcastsfor decades, primarily on NBC. He chronicled UCLA's men's Alex Cobb Jersey basketball dynasty.Scully aced him out of a chance to add baseball to the collection in the 1980s but Enberg has done just fine, thank you very much. In fact, he joined Scully in the broadcasters' wing of the Baseball Hall of Fame last year.Imagine: Enberg and Scully(and the lateJerry Coleman in San Diego) were the mainvoices of baseball in Southern California at the same time.Both Enberg and Scully are still excellent at their craft. Bothwill leave the air Sunday.MORE: Don Orsillo to succeed EnbergEnberg's pa sion for baseball was evident Thursday.In his pregame addre s, he said to the crowd: "I hope you fans, and I know I'm speaking to the choir, don't ever turn your back on how beautiful this game is. It's the best game, it's the best announcer's game."He cheerilyshared stories withbroadcast partners Mark Grant and Mark Sweeney, and even got to workthe third inning with his son Ted, who is doing broadcast work himself for Stanford athletics.Immediately afterthe final out of the Padres' 9-4 lo s to the Dodgers, Enberg signed off succinctly, andhumbly:"It's been a magical day and night for me, and thank you, everyone. Daniel Robertson Jersey "After Sunday, it will be on tothe next phase of Enberg's life.He wants to return to teaching he was a college profe sor before switching to announcing full time. There are myriad other things he wants to do, and he'lltake on those tasks with the same vigor he has brought to broadcasting. And when we hear about how well he's doing, we'll have to sit up andsay, "Oh, my!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement