Red Lodge, MT Trip - Big Jimmy's Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Red Lodge, MT Trip

Well, I just realized that it's only 56 days until our very long road trip to Red Lodge begins. So, i'm at work and I'm on googlemaps...I love that website!!

Leaving in the afternoon of July 7, riding about 150 miles to Flagstaff for the night...Get up early, ride up to Moab, UT where we spend the night and hopefully meet up with Brian and Marilyn and do a little sightseeing before taking off to the Muddy Gap, WY area. Spend the night - and head towards Shoshoni where we will ride through the Wind River Canyon. http://www.wyomingtourism.org/overvi...ic-Byway/31254
From there we ride up through Cody, Belfry and on to Red Lodge.
Then we spend the weekend At the Alpine Lodge w/some of our favorite people!

Can't wait to see you all!!!

dawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 07:18 PM
Administrator

I've driven through the Wind River Canyon back in 2004, I was in my truck but wanted to be on my bike. What a beautiful route. Hope you enjoy the town of Thermopolis, make sure you visit the hot spring (hold your nose)

SPOK - 2005 Vulcan 2000
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 02:19 AM

google maps is awesome Dawn, i agree. my itinerary is as follows
July 3rd, home to Entriken, PA. spending the weekend on the boat with Todd and Sandy
July 5th, Entriken PA, to Joe and Julie's place in northern West Virginia, about 150 miles
July 6th, from WV to somewhere past St. Louis most likely
July 7th, from there to Wamego, KS to spend the night with some dear old friends that used to live up here
July 8th, hook up with Norm and ride up to Holdrege. spend some more time reminiscing with some of Deron's friends
July 9th, from Holdrege to somewhere in WY, probably north of Gillette
July 10th, a short half day from Gillette to RL !

talked to my oil company today and with the price of oil dropping, we over paid on our budget accounts for both houses. i am leaving the balance from our house in the account, but my tenants are taking over the utility payments so i am pulling out the $1300 extra to put into the Meanie. hope to have a windshield, backrest and bags before the trip, as well as a new T-bag and most likely some new riding gear. might try to build a trailer with a home made hidden hitch, but most likely not before RL. that will be used when i take Sherry somewhere this year. can't wait to get on the road !!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Jim told me about the Wind River route...it looks awesome..hopefully we'll have some time to pull over and sight see a bit!

Your route sounds fun David!! I'm really excited...We just finished buying everything needed...except my tires..I need to make a decision...get em down here now or wait til I get up to RL and have Kawi do it there...I don't know. Gotta go look at them and see.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 02:59 AM

yeah, i am definitely looking forward to it. hoping to stick to Highway 55 i think, rather than the Interstate. Deron used it from Maryland to Nebraska one year and said it was great. still straight and fast enough to make decent time but a lot more interesting than the interstate.
not sure what i am going to do about tires either. just bought a new front tire but i don't remember how my rear tire is. might have to do a RL tire change again. did that on the Meanie two years ago and it worked out great.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

ya, Jake quoted me some prices that were pretty good. where ever I get them, i'm going to stick with the bridgestone...they've been very good to me!!How much in advance should I order them.?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 08:22 PM

i would say even a week would be fine, but check with Jake on lead time. the stock size Bridgestone's should be easy to get, but BTK doesn't normally order street bike parts so it may take an extra day or two.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 07:32 AM Thread Starter

Ok will do! Thanks!
What is your deciding factor on tires!?
I think for peace of mind, I'll get a back tire here, but have btk put on a front..
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 08:56 PM

it really depends on how many miles i have on them before i leave and how many miles i am planning on for my trip. i haven't sat down and added them all up for this year yet but i know it will be less than most previous years, except maybe the first year. and i am hoping to stay off the interstate for most of the first half of the ride, that will save my tires a bit. still not sure how good my rear is as of right now. i may just end up putting on a new set or at least a new rear just before i leave and then maybe have a set waiting for when i get home.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 12:11 AM Thread Starter

I just made an appt w/our local guy to get me two new tires, an oil change and possible brake pad on the rear. I looked at my tires and think I need at least the back one right now...
Biz can't be too bad, he can't see me til the 16th of June.