look what.... - Big Jimmy's Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

look what....

...followed me home today

she is an 02 Suzuki DRZ400. has a dual sport kit on it, the aftermarket lights, horn, that stuff. hasn't been titled yet in this state so i got it cheap cause it may be a hassle. actually traded my kids' quad for it, so basically i paid $1000 for it. i talked to a friend who works for the DMV and she says it should be no problem getting it registered. if so, then i just got a hell of a deal ! these things are going for around 2K right now.

David
Deron, we miss you buddy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 11:42 PM
Big Jimmy Fan

Pretty cool David. Does it come with a step stool?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

hard de freakin har my tall Canadian friend !
it is actually almost perfect height for me. i can't flat foot it, but i think i am a good enough rider to not have to worry about that.

David
Deron, we miss you buddy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 12:37 AM
Big Jimmy Fan

Looks like fun! Are the kids cool wit dat?

Dawn
"I love this place"
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

we had that four wheeler for a little over a year and they never used it, so yeah. my daughter likes to ride, but i don't have a four wheeler right now, so she doesn't have the opportunity. my buddy actually has a couple small 50cc dirt bikes. i might see if she wants to give them a shot. then we can do some trail riding together.

David
Deron, we miss you buddy
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 03:17 PM
Big Jimmy Fan

Very cool David, you'll have a blast. Jodie and I just got out for our first ride last night on the DRs, was fun right up until I crashed. Bike is fine (I love dual sports that are made to fall down), but I'm hurtin. Saw a rut coming, and like a total newb decided to focus on the rut instead of looking up and guess what I hit and proceeded to wash the front end. And I have to train Jodie on proper crash etitquette. She keeps asking me "Are you OK, are you OK". I told her "First priority of *any* crash is to grab the camera and get some pics, I don't care if you have to roll me over to get the camera out of my pocket!" ;-)

Sorry no crash pics but here was the fun part...

Rock Creek bridge in the background

under the bridge

When it gets rough I'm always wishing I was on a DRZ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb
I believe we let the research get in the way of good times far too often.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

proper crash etiquette, you've got me rolling on the floor with that one Brent ! geez, leave it to a woman to make sure you are ok and not take advantage of a perfect photo op. the key it to ask if you are ok while getting the camera and taking pics.
wish you guys were closer so we could do some riding. a few of my friends are getting into it with me though. one just bought a 400 KTM and another an XR650L. should be a fun summer.

David
Deron, we miss you buddy
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 08:20 PM
Big Jimmy Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ispeed77 View Post
proper crash etiquette, you've got me rolling on the floor with that one Brent ! geez, leave it to a woman to make sure you are ok and not take advantage of a perfect photo op. the key it to ask if you are ok while getting the camera and taking pics.
wish you guys were closer so we could do some riding. a few of my friends are getting into it with me though. one just bought a 400 KTM and another an XR650L. should be a fun summer.
You bet, nothing like playing in the dirt. Don't forget to give your orange riding friend a hard time about his machine and it's reliability. We owned one KTM and that was enough, spent over $4000 in repairs in 2 years of ownership. They are great bikes with super suspension and awesome motors, when they're running, but just pray they don't break down and they are maintenance wh0res. We sold that bike and Luke bought a YZ450F and hasn't done anything but regular maintenance for the past two years. The DRZ may not be quite as capable as his KTM but at least you'll be riding instead of fixing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb
I believe we let the research get in the way of good times far too often.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

that's good to know Brent. i was actually leaning towards a KTM myself, but couldn't pass on this deal. funny thing is that he is into his for about double what i am and mine is in way better shape and has electric start. not only is his kick start, but it is a left side kick.
oh, and we aren't going to do enough heavy riding to notice the difference in the two bikes. at least not enough that would make up for the 50lbs he has on me.
pretty sure i am going out for some woods riding on sunday, can't wait !

David
Deron, we miss you buddy
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 09:10 PM
Big Jimmy Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheelsforfun View Post
You bet, nothing like playing in the dirt. Don't forget to give your orange riding friend a hard time about his machine and it's reliability. We owned one KTM and that was enough, spent over $4000 in repairs in 2 years of ownership. They are great bikes with super suspension and awesome motors, when they're running, but just pray they don't break down and they are maintenance wh0res. We sold that bike and Luke bought a YZ450F and hasn't done anything but regular maintenance for the past two years. The DRZ may not be quite as capable as his KTM but at least you'll be riding instead of fixing.
I wonder if this had anything to do with KTM backing out of providing the bikes for Long Way Round. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Way_Round

How could a movie like this fail to generate "the right publicity for KTM" unless the bikes didn't do well?

Later,

Charlie