Dinner last night.
Whipped up a traditional northern Italian sauce for dinner last night. Growing up my Dad would cook sauce's like this all the time. In the part of Italy he grew up in, beef was a rarity, you either had pork or veal in your sauce, or turkey as the meat dish.
Anyways, here goes:
- Get out the crock pot, and put a large can of tomatoes and a half can of tomato paste in it.
- Dice up 1/3 of an onion, a carrot, a couple celery stalks, and as much garlic as you can stand and toss it in too.
- Find a decent sized pork chop, pork steak, whatever and sear the snot out of it in a frying pan with some olive oil. You don't want to cook it, only sear it on each side for a couple minutes. Then throw it in the crock pot too.
- Add sone salt and pepper, a dash of red wine, about a tablespoon of sugar, and some spices if you wish to the pot as well.
- Turn it on to low and go to work. When you come home it will be done. You may need to add a 1/2 cup or so of water at the end, if it has reduced down much.
Cook up some pasta, buy and grate some real Parma cheese and have at her. Oh yeh, you must have buns too, no Italian meal is complete wihthout buns.
Cheerio, I'm off to have my leftovers now. Yummy.