Work/Management - Big Jimmy's Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-02-2008, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Big Jimmy Fan

Work/Management

Hi, I'm really just ranting here...I just don't get people..
I got this guy working for me right; he's a cook, just started like mid October. Has a girlfriend and a baby, really in need of work...BAD. So, I know his mother and she asked if I'd hire him and he seemed like a cool guy...so I hire him.

Last month he called in one day and said he could make more money doing "something else" and left a message saying he wasn't coming in....Warning #1...Yesterday he was 45 minutes late for work...he called to let me know, so I sort of let it go...Today, scheduled for 9am, he's not here at 9:15, not here at 9:30, so I call him...he says...Oh jeez, I was just going to call you, I hit the snooze...i'm leaving now...Haha...WTF? What am I the babysitter?

So, this is warning #2..and the last....however, I write him up, and he starts friggin' arguing with me...I said, Listen up...this is your last chance - don't argue with me, and start getting here on time. He shakes his head, signs the piece of paper and is being a ****ant...Whatever.

The problem is partially that I need him...he does a good job when he's here...but WTF? Seriously? I just want to tell him to go someplace else.

Thanks for listening...I can't stand this job most of the time, but am having trouble finding something else...oh well...

Dawn
"I love this place"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 03:23 AM
Big Jimmy Fan

You may need him to get a few things done, but he is holding you hostage. I would send him packing as soon as you can. There is bound to be someone who can do as good a job and really wants the job.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 05:04 AM
Big Jimmy Fan

There's nothing I hate more than having to supervise people. It's a thankless job. I'm sorry, Dawn, that you're having to deal with this. What a jerk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Big Jimmy Fan

Thanks Ken. You are so right! I have two huge events this week and three smaller ones. I just feel that I need him right now and will put an ad in the paper for a new hire and start interviewing next week.

It is a thankless job. I'm alwys the biotch. What I hate the most is that people don't take responi ility for their actions. They think they ate due a pass or something. Grrrrr

Dawn
"I love this place"

Last edited by ispeed77; 11-04-2008 at 03:10 AM.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 02:59 PM
Big Jimmy Fan

I can cook. Can you pay at least $50K ?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 04:05 PM
Big Jimmy Fan

I would show up on time but not get anything done.
What can you do?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Big Jimmy Fan

carlo, sorry can't pay 50Gs. Maybe that's the problem.
Gene, I guess both things are an issue...I think this kid also has a drug problem. His days are numbered-he was late again today! Idiot.

Dawn
"I love this place"
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 03:11 AM
Super Moderator

show him the door Dawn.

David
Deron, we miss you buddy
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 12:21 PM
Big Jimmy Fan

It is sad, but the largest percentage of our workforce lacks ethics, at least where work is concerned. The problem, as I see it, is the "its all about me attitude" people have anymore. Regardless of vocation (cook, mechanic, cop, or trash collector) nothing is considered a career to be proud of anymore. They all seem to have the attitude that its just a job and I can get another down the street or get unemployment, so they just don't care.

Maybe a little "go hungry" time will do the boy good.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 09:39 PM
Big Jimmy Fan

When I was living and working in New York, I had a similar problem with a guy who reported to me. He wouldn't show up for work and would always have an excuse the next day. He had a lot of family problems, and I felt sorry for him, but I depended on him to get some important work done. It got to be ridiculous. I knew I was going to have to fire him, and then Alan and I decided to move to Colorado, so I didn't have to. Whew! I hate having to fire people. It sucks.