Dealer mounted front tire BACKWARDS! - Big Jimmy's Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
New to these parts

Dealer mounted front tire BACKWARDS!

I purchased a new set of tires for my 06 Midnight Venture yesterday afternoon. We went riding today with a group of friends. Put about 240 miles on the new tires. I noticed that the bike was not handling well. It also had vibration in the handlebars and floorboards, which I have never had before. The longer we rode, the worse it got. When we stopped for a coffee break this afternoon, I got to looking and discovered that the front tire is mounted backwards! The arrow on the sidewall is pointed backwards, as is the tread design! WHAT THE CRAP?!!

Now I have to wait til Tuesday (dealer is closed on Mondays), call them, and they will have to order me a new tire. Won't be surprised if I have to argue with them because they will probably want to remount this same tire correctly, but I don;t want that. I have been told that the tires are directional and if run backwards it degrades the tire's integrity and can be unsafe. Anyone have any knowledge about this?

BamaBob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 01:11 AM
Big Jimmy Fan

Well, if you think that's bad, here's what my dealer did. They put the front tire on the back and vice versa. The front tire was rubbing against the fender because it was too wide. D'oh. They had to get me a new tire, even though I don't think the tire was actually damaged. I wasn't taking any chances, though. Good luck with making them get a new tire for you!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 04:43 AM
Big Jimmy Fan

It shouldnt hurt it Bob, a radial is a radial, the belts go around the tire, so it shouldnt cause any problems, if it was mine I wouldnt have any concerns, but it's your bike and they messed up, so hopefully they will take care of it. I know we would, yes mistakes happen. Just one hint when you talk to them on Tuesday......you get more flies with honey, than vinegar. Good luck, I hope everything works out for you.

Appliances and electronic devices derive their power from smoke. If the smoke escapes, they will no longer work
Deron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
New to these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1400pilot View Post
It shouldnt hurt it Bob, a radial is a radial, the belts go around the tire, so it shouldnt cause any problems, if it was mine I wouldnt have any concerns, but it's your bike and they messed up, so hopefully they will take care of it. I know we would, yes mistakes happen. Just one hint when you talk to them on Tuesday......you get more flies with honey, than vinegar. Good luck, I hope everything works out for you.
Deron. these are bias-ply tires which are recommended by Yamaha for the Venture. According to my research, the tires are "directional", not "uni-directional" as some tires are. When manufactured, the plys are designed to rotate in one set direction or they can de-laminate inside the tire, especially under hard braking or after extended period of normal braking. Also, the sipes or tread pattern is backwards and will not pull the water from the tire's center as designed when raining, but will actually pull water to the center of the tire, increasing a hydroplaning effect.

I'm gonna call the owner and talk to him and see what his position is and what he offers. If he is a stand up guy and says we will replace the tire, like he should, then I'm cool with that. If he wants to be a peckerhead, I'm gonna get p.o.'ed and raise h*ll.

BamaBob
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 06:55 PM
Big Jimmy Fan

Yup there is a difference, stick by your guns and get them to replace the tire, if they dont, you will never feel comfortable and saftey will be an issue, make sure you tell them that. If the tire comes apart when you are riding it, they will be liabale, just because they installed it the wrong way!!!

Appliances and electronic devices derive their power from smoke. If the smoke escapes, they will no longer work
Deron
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
New to these parts

Just an update on the "backwards" mounted tire. I called the tire manufacturer's home office today and told them what happened. They had their Chief Engineer/Tire Guru call me back. He said that there should not be any problem with remounting the tire correctly since there was less than 800 - 1000 miles put on it. According to him. it takes that long for the tire to "break in" and to develop a "wear pattern". I asked if the safety and integrity of the tire has been compromised. He stated that with less than 300 miles on it that it has not been compromised at all. He stated that he would not have any reservations about using the tire on his personal motorcycle.

I'm still gonna talk to the owner/manager and see what they offer, and advise them I prefer a new tire. If I can get a new tire, I will feel much better. If not, at least I know the "experts" at the tire manufacturer say I am OK with this tire.

We'll see what happens tomorrow.

BamaBob
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator

good luck Bob, hopefully they make good on it. like Deron said, mistakes happen, it comes down to how they handle it.

David
Deron, we miss you buddy
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 12:47 AM
Big Jimmy Fan

Ha!
Must be related to the guy up here who mounted my pair of studded snow tires on the front of my rear wheel drive Chevy van last year!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 12:59 AM
Big Jimmy Fan

Ive seen that before, just not with tires, we had a flunkie that did odd jobs at the GM dealership where I was the service manager, I wanted him to put on 4 splash guards on a new car, so he went at it and I didnt pay much attention to him.......well how hard could it be to put on splash guards, he came and told me he was done and I went to inspect the job and every splash guard was on the front of the fender, instead of the rear......DUH!!!!

Deron
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 11:39 PM
Super Moderator

it's nice to know that there are stupid people everywhere, not just in MA

David
Deron, we miss you buddy