vacation time - Big Jimmy's Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
New to these parts

vacation time

hay guys I am sitting here watching the blizzerd out side, and thinking about when it worms up.We usualy take about 9 to 10 days trip on the bike enery year about sturgis time .Last year we went down through Wyo.and back through sturgis.This year I was thinking mabe go to kansas, col. wyo.mon. then sturgis.But never been to kansas or col. what is a good senic rought to take can anybody help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 02:00 PM
Big Jimmy Fan

Maybe Mike can set me straight, but I always thought the only scenic routes in Kansas were straight roads going somewhere else.

Later,

Charlie
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator

LOL! That's about right, Charlie!

Realistically, brucel, there's not a tremendous amount to see that I'm aware of - at least not that won't take you way outta the way to Colorado.

Mike
'07 Vulcan 900LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 02:30 AM Thread Starter
New to these parts

I was thinking of going acrost neb. or kan.from what I here there aint much on eather.till you get into col. or wyo.was kinda thinking going to the four corners and then heading north.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator

Don't get me wrong... if'n ya like looooooong sweeping curves and a view of miles and miles of virtually untouched prarie, western Kansas is gorgeous. If you are lookin' for killer twisties and riding challenges, ya just won't find it here

Mike
'07 Vulcan 900LT
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 10:04 PM
Tod
Super Moderator

I heard there's a hill somewhere near Wilson...but maybe that's just a legend.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 12:23 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
I heard there's a hill somewhere near Wilson...but maybe that's just a legend.

Mike
'07 Vulcan 900LT
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 02:59 AM
New to these parts

There are several nice, comfortable rides and almost some twistees from Wilson to Lucas and back to Sylvan Grove, but most of the twists are on lake roads that could use more asphalt and less potholes. It is beautiful rolling planes though. Tallgrass Prarie Preserve is in the general area, well maybe 100 miles away, and it's a cool ride and most of the secondary highways roll along the easiest path carved by the flinthills. You have to have grown up here to feel like home I think, and as such, it's beautiful. Watching a thunderstorm roll in from 50 miles away is nice as well. At sunset the Anvils to the ceiling lighting up with electricity and the low rumble minutes later, breathtaking.

The smell of roasted prarie in late August, magical, but probably only if this is home. You may smell it and think it interesting. I smell it and wrap myself up in a blanket of memories.

This time of year everything is grey. The sky, the ground, the very air I breath. Grey and cold and it stings my nose just a bit. I started asking everyone I run into if they heard it was going to be 60? When? they say startled. Bout two months and I walk on. They usually chuckle.

I have a rotator cup surgery in 2 weeks. It will be wet and green before I get to ride then. Oh well.

My experience is that Nebraska is much the same as Kansas but the winter is longer and the summer a bit briefer, scenery is a little bit more of the same. Come on through Kansas and Welcome, go home through Nebraska.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 07:13 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClean417 View Post
Watching a thunderstorm roll in from 50 miles away is nice as well. At sunset the Anvils to the ceiling lighting up with electricity and the low rumble minutes later, breathtaking.
That is one of the sweet things about livin' in a flat land. Watching a storm rollin' across the plains is a sight to behold

Quote:
I have a rotator cup surgery in 2 weeks.
Good luck on that, Bill!

Mike
'07 Vulcan 900LT
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
New to these parts

Ya was in mcpherson tords the end of june last year and we watched the tornados blow through .helk I didnt know that motels had storm shelters.I just hope that this year that it aint so wet and cold when we leave twords the end of july.